Formerly the International Conference of Physics Students (ICPS) Travel Award
Application Deadline: March 15
Note: If the application deadline falls on a weekend, the application is due the following Monday.
Each year the Society of Physics Students supports two representatives to attend and present their research at the International Conference of Physics Students (ICPS), an international conference hosted by the International Association of Physics Students (IAPS). The representatives are the winners of the SPS Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research, and are chosen on the basis of their research, letters of recommendation, and SPS participation from among qualified applicants. The winners also receive a $500 honorarium for themselves and a $500 honorarium for their SPS chapter.
2017 ICPS Details
2017 International Conference of Physics Students
August 7-14, 2017
University of Torino
Award at a Glance
- Two or more awards may be made each year to individuals who meet the criteria.
- Winners receive a free trip to attend and present their research at the International Conference of Physics Students (ICPS), usually held in Europe; are encouraged to give a presentation in an SPS research session at a national physics meeting; and receive a $500 honorarium for themselves and a $500 honorarium for their SPS chapter.
- Awarded to undergraduates on the basis of their research, letters of recommendation, and SPS participation.
- Applicants must be members of the SPS national organization.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students at the time the application is due.
- Applicants must complete the online application form, available at https://aipsps.fluidreview.com, no later than March 15. If this deadline falls on a weekend, the application is due the following Monday.
- In addition to completing a general application form, applicants must submit the following information.
- Title and text of research abstract
- A list of references for where the research explained in the abstract has been presented or published (if any)
- Written description of SPS-related activity
- Two letters of recommendation - One from an SPS advisor and one from another faculty member or a research advisor
- Note: The online application will guide applicants through the process of requesting letters of recommendation (letters must be uploaded, not emailed or mailed to the SPS National Office) and adding the additional supporting information.
- All of these items must be submitted through the online system by the deadline in order for an application to be considered.
In determining the recipients, the Awards Committee shall consider:
- Quality of the abstract
- Letters of recommendation
- Demonstration of active participation in SPS
Please address questions related to this award to SPS-Programs [at] aip.org.
The ICPS is planned by the International Association of Physics Students (IAPS), a non-governmental association run by students for students and recent graduates who are interested in physics. SPS is a National Committee member of IAPS representing the United States. Typically, ICPS attendees are upper level undergraduate, and first and second year graduate students. Previous conferences have been held in Scotland, Romania, England, Denmark, Turkey, Austria, Russia, Poland, Croatia and Malta. The conference language will be English.
Usual activities at the ICPS:
- Delegate lectures lasting 20-25 minutes
- Poster sessions
- Guest lectures
- Excursions to places of scientific, cultural or historical interest
- A guided tour of the host city
- IAPS Annual General Meeting and workshops
- Parties, including the national party where delegates are encouraged to share examples of their national food, drink and entertainment
Note: Awardees will be required to submit a completed W-9 federal tax form before funds dispersal—download form at: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf