The Student Guide to Grad School in Physics, Astronomy, and Related Fields
GradSchoolShopper magazine, the companion to GradSchoolShopper.com, is a print publication published annually by the American Institute of Physics in collaboration with the Society of Physics Students and Physics Today. The magazine features valuable guidance on the graduate school path and stories from those who’ve been where you are now.
Browse a digital replica of the latest issue, or browse content from all issues below.
Best of GradSchoolShopper magazine
The Grad School Path
- Thinking About Grad School?
- Taking Your Physics or Astronomy Bachelor’s Degree to Grad School
- The Places You Might Go
- Considering a Career in Research
- About Physics and Astronomy Degree Programs
- The Path to a Physics PhD
- Pathways to Medical Physics
- Who Pays for a PhD?
- Grad School Application Timeline
Finding the Right Programs for You
- GradSchoolShopper.com Simplifies the Grad School Search
- Choosing Great Grad Programs for You
- Bridging Students from Physics Bachelor's to PhD
- Is a Physics or Astronomy Bridge Program Right for You?
- Grad School Visit Guide
- Andrew's Story: Why I Went to Grad School
- Elon's Story: A Path Shaped by Conferences, Community, and Mentoring
- Farrah's Story: Is There a Place for Me in Grad School?
- Holly’s Story: What I Did Differently the Second Time Around
Crafting Successful Applications
- What are Programs Looking for in Applicants?
- Standout Applications
- Doing Applications Right
- Applying to Grad School with a COVID-19 Transcript
- Make a Statement with Your Personal Statement
- How to Get Great Letters of Recommendation
- The Physics GRE Explained
- Real Talk: GRE Scores and Physics Grad Programs
- Tools for Making Your Career Dreams a Reality
- Don’t Limit Yourself
Setting Yourself Up for Success
- If You Don't Have Your (Mental) Health
- Paths to Resilience and Success
- PhD Student–Adviser Pairing Is Critical, but in US Physics Departments It’s Often Haphazard
- Brittney's Story: Navigating the "Worst Case Scenario" in Grad School
- The Employment Landscape for New Physics Degree Recipients
- Katherine's Story: Physics Lessons for Life