There are now 3 ways to join SPS: Individual, Discounted Group or Chapter Membership
SPS: It’s the best thing for your career since choosing to study physics. Membership dues are only *$24 per year.
Discounted Group Membership
Save by joining as a group! The more people you get to join SPS National, the larger the discount off your annual membership dues. Members in this program receive all benefits of the individual membership, including a print copy of The SPS Observer. Advisors will also receive a special SPS Care Package once payment has been received. This discount is open to undergrads, grad students, faculty and staff.
Download and complete the SPS Group Membership Application Form (Excel spreadsheet). Please email the completed form (in .xls or .xlsx format) to sps [at] aip.org (subject: SPS%20Bulk%20Membership%20Application%20Form) along with a check or money order, or use the link on the form to pay via credit card.
*Membership dues are $30.00 per year for addresses outside of the US and Canada. The additional dues cover international shipping for The SPS Observer; members outside of the US and Canada will receive Physics Today in online format.
Want to include everyone in SPS? Interested in improving student retention? An unlimited number of people from your chapter can join for one flat rate! Members receive the same benefits as individual membership with the exception of an electronic subscription to The SPS Observer rather than print. This discount is open to undergrads, grad students, faculty and staff affiliated with a single college or university. Chapters will also receive:
- An SPS button for every member
- A limited number of print copies of The SPS Observer
- 3 copies of the Careers Toolbox for Physics Undergraduates and their Mentors
- SPS wall decal or stickers
- 1 Science Outreach Catalyst Kit (while supplies last)
- 10% discount at the SPS Store
* Membership lists larger than 200 names will be assessed an additional $150 processing fee.
Download and complete the SPS Chapter Membership Application Form (Excel spreadsheet). Please email the completed form (in .xls or .xlsx format) to sps [at] aip.org (subject: SPS%20Bulk%20Membership%20Application%20Form) along with a check or money order, or use the link on the form to pay via credit card.
There are many reasons to join the Society of Physics Students (SPS) national organization. Upon payment of your national dues, you will receive:
- Physics Today - A monthly award-winning publication*
- The SPS Observer - A quarterly magazine for undergraduate physics and astronomy students
- SPS News eNewsletter - A bi-weekly briefing of everything you need know
- Jobs: Access to the SPS Jobs site
- Careers: Learn about physicist profiles, Resources and the Careers Toolbox
- Scholarships: SPS scholarships include the SPS Leadership, SPS Future Teacher, Community College, and more!
- Leadership: Run for the SPS national council
- SPS Internships - 10-week-paid internship program for SPS members
- Travel funds: SPS Travel awards if you are presenting
- Science writing: SPS Reporter awards if you report on a conference
- Support your mentor: SPS Outstanding Chapter Advisor award
- Research awards: SPS Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research
- Host a regional meeting: SPS Zone Meeting Awards
- Regional (Zone) Meetings
- Attend professional society meetings
- Free membership with two AIP Member Societies for undergraduates only, for up to three years.
- Free joint membership in the National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP) or the National Society of Hispanic Physicists (NSHP)
- Apply for free outreach materials and kits (SOCKs)
*Please note that your membership is effective immediately, although it will take six to eight weeks for publications to begin arriving.
SPS is General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP) compliant and your data is not shared wtih 3rd parties outside SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma except with your permission (such as when you select a member society or to recieve Physics Today). Contact information is shared with SPS leadership to help facilitate society interactions. If you would like to be removed from any list, please email sps [at] aip.org.