SPS Congressional Visits Day
Read about the SPS CVD participant experiences: 2018
Society of Physics Students Congressional Visits Day (SPS CVD) is a program to support student engagement in science policy and advocacy on Capitol Hill.
Applications Open: December 1
Applications Due: January 15
About SPS CVD
SPS CVD is a two-day annual event that brings SPS members to Washington, D.C. to raise visibility and support for science, engineering, and technology. While attending SPS CVD, members will have the opportunity to engage with and advocate on behalf of the science policy issues most important to STEM through interaction with members of Capitol Hill.
Accepted members will receive policy training via webinars and onsite in D.C. but are expected to have basic knowledge in science policy.
Accepted members must be available for travel for up to 3 weekdays between mid-March 2018 to mid-April 2018 to participate in SPS CVD. Program dates will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
- Students must be undergraduates and members of the SPS national organization
- Students must either be a current Associate Zone Councilor (AZC) OR a Chapter Officer for their SPS Chapter
- Students must have a strong interest in science policy
The SPS CVD Program accepts four total undergraduate SPS members.
To be considered for SPS CVD, all applicants must complete the full SPS CVD Application in the online awards system - by January 15 at 11:59 PM EST.
The full SPS CVD Application includes:
- Applicant Information
- SPS CVD Short Answer Form
- Resume or CV
- Advisor Certification
- Scholastic record and potential for future success
- Participation in SPS events and activities
- Relevant interest and experience
- All accepted members are required to attend the SPS webinar trainings
- Members will also be expected to demonstrate knowledge of science policy and basic government processes and procedures prior to arriving in D.C.
- Anticipated schedule for SPS CVD:
- Monday - Members will travel to D.C. and check into hotel
- Tuesday - Members will attend onsite training covering the following topics:
- Policy and budget
- Mock congressional visits
- Wednesday - Congressional visits and debrief dinner
- Travel and lodging expenses will be reimbursed by SPS National
- Participants must submit a 1-2 page report reflecting on their experience during SPS CVD within 10 business days following the program