Program Details | Program Flyer (please post) | Meet the 2014 Interns | Past SPS Interns
||Applications due February 14
Previous SPS Interns - Let us know what you're up to now!
Broaden Your Education... Diversify Your Interests...
Advance Your Career!
- Stipend: $4,500
- Other support: Commuting allowance, coverage of transportation to/from Washington, DC, and support to attend and present at a national physics meeting in the year following the internship
- Dates: May 28-August 1, 2014
- Meet the 2014 Interns
Through the SPS summer internship program, physics undergraduates are placed in organizations that utilize their knowledge, experience and energy to advance meaningful assignments relevant to the organization and the advancement of physics more generally. Participating organizations assign one or more mentors from their senior staff to guide each internís work and overall experience. The SPS national office administers the program, hosts joint orientation and concluding sessions, and holds many group activities throughout the summer. For more information, see SPS Internship Program Details.
The cohort of SPS summer interns share their varied experiences with each other, live in housing in the heart of Washington, DC, and participate in a number of engaging supplemental activities throughout the summer.
|Intern Selection Criteria
- Scholastic record and potential for future success
- Participation in SPS events and activities
- Relevant experience and interest
- Applicants must complete the online application form, https://aipsps.fluidreview.com, no later than February 14. Note: Deadline has been extended because of the addition of 2 new positions.
- In addition to completing a general application form, applicants must submit:
- Cover letter - Include what skills and traits you would bring to the positions in which you are most interested, what you hope to gain from an SPS internship, and examples of your ability to work independently
- Writing sample (one page)
- Academic transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation - Ideally one from an SPS advisor and one from a professor or research advisor with whom the applicant has worked
- All of these items must be submitted through the online FluidReview system by February 1 in order for an application to be considered.
|Internship Partners and Program Support
Organizations currently partnering with SPS to mentor and support summer interns include:
Many of these organizations provide financial support to help off-set program expenses.
All of the awards and scholarship programs of SPS are made possible, in part, through generous contributions of Sigma Pi Sigma members and friends. Scholarships and awards are supported by income derived from designated funds that have been provided as gifts. In this way, the physics alumni, and especially the Sigma Pi Sigma members, contribute to the generations of students who follow them.