Week 9: Every Second Counts

Share This:

Sunday, August 19, 2018


Kristen Larson

This week everything has settled into place. The internship is coming to a close and I wanted to make sure that I finished up everything that was on my plate by Friday. So in order to do that I finally crossed my t's and dotted my i's.

Which included: 

Adding Citations to my Quotations
Color Printing
Spray Mounting (tutorial: https://youtu.be/sDGDgW_K8Ww )
Cutting the Foam Board with a Box Cutter
Burning Holes in the Foam Board (to later hang up the captions)
Measuring and Tying Fishing Line to the Printed Captions
Place Transparent Command Hooks in the Display Cases
Putting Everything Up, then Taking Items Down, Fixing Them and Re-Hanging Them
Getting Help from Three Other People to Attach the Case to the Display Base

So while many of the items on my to-do list were easy they included a few set backs that required on the spot thinking. For the spray mounting, I was planning on using a giant paper cutter, but that ended up tearing up the foam core, the next step was to use a box cutter (which took more time than expected); I wanted to use a hole punch to create the holes in the foam core, but the foam was too thick so it got stuck in two different hole punches and then ended up needing to be ripped out, so as a solution I remembered that I still had access to the the hot foam pen (originally used for the finishing touches on the pink foam insulation models) and it would make a more discreet hole in the captions (a much better end result).  

The work was taxing but it feels so rewarding to have it finished and for people to finally see what I have been referring to this entire internship. I stayed really late on Friday (7:30 pm, 30 minutes past the time the building closes, but shout out to Josh for letting me stay late to wrap up the last display case) because I didn't want another week to go by without my exhibit being on display. It would also allow me to have some time to really reflect on my final presentation and make any final adjustments to the exhibit cases if needed.

So without further ado, see below for pictures of the process and the finished cases!


One case in the prep area.
Getting ready to burn holes in the captions using the hot foam pen
Burning holes in the spray mounted captions
Placing the transparent command hooks in the display cases
Eyeballing placement in the lobby gallery case
Finished case number 1
Finished case number 2
Finished case number 3

Kristen Larson