Last week, I finalized the presentation I will give at the AAPT Summer Meeting next weekend to the Executive Board and Section Representatives. We want to let them know about the work I’m doing and encourage members to pursue advocacy, so my talk focuses on what resources I am creating.
Saturday we went to the Folklife festival put on by the Smithsonian. They had booth set up about the Americas, fashion, as well as a bunch of booths for Hungry. It was fun walking around and seeing all the displays. They also had food, so we got some Chicken and Waffles and fresh fruit.
Following the fun of the 4th, it was back to work on Monday. Most of the week was taken up with familiarizing myself with writing scripts in Linux and working my way through the modeling code that we would be utilizing.
Already past my fourth week, and coincidentally it was the Fourth of July week! I didn’t want to have any work over my 4 day weekend so I dug in and hammered through as much work as I could get done. And wonderfully enough, I finished three projects leading into Thursday.
Despite only spending three days of it at work, this week has been more hectic than the last two put together. Last weekend I headed up to New York to see a friend I hadn’t seen in over a year and tried to fit as many tourist attractions as possible in to the twelve hours I was there.
Congress was in recess this week, so it was not as busy in the office. On Tuesday, the other interns and I were able to take the Hood and Emergency Training Course, required for all Hill Staff and Interns. It turned out to be both informative and pretty interesting, since we got to hear about a
Dinner with the SPS Executive Committee was delicious. It was delivered to ACP and we ate in the conference room on the fifth floor. It was a quick meal before we went to the Capitol Steps show in DC. The show was full of hilarious political satire that mocks everyone. It was quite a riot.
My main accomplishments this week comprised one material project and one conceptual breakthrough: I built a fully analogous test rig for the Kevlar strands, and I figured out an elegant way to route them.