[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Programs & Awards  

2003 SPS National Interns
2003 Interns | All Interns | Internships Home

Justin Stimatze Justin Stimatze
California State University-Chico, CA

Internship: National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)
Online Journal
Week of August 6, 2006 Week of July 18, 2006 Week of June 27, 2006
Week of August 1, 2006 Week of July 11, 2006 Week of June 20, 2006
Week of July 25, 2006 Week of July 4, 2006 Week of June 13, 2006
Where are they now?

July 28, 2006
Jusin StimatzeAt the conclusion of my internship, I returned to California with many warm memories and a newfound motivation to accelerate my undergraduate career. After experiencing the research process at a national laboratory, I was more aware of additional learning and research opportunities available to me. This lead me to enter leadership roles in several campus organizations, become more involved with the SPS national organization, engage in on-campus research with several mentors, complete two additional summer internships in plasma physics, and present research projects at several conferences. I graduated in the winter of 2005 and decided to take a year off to work and travel. I'm currently working as a freelance programmer and will be applying to physics graduate programs for admission in Fall 2007.

I feel that my SPS internship provided me with something particularly valuable, in addition to the actual research experience: a sense of how the Physics community works together, both inside and outside the laboratory. There's an intangible but very powerful feeling of tradition and culture that permeates the universities, laboratories, and organizations. Until my internship with SPS, I hadn't had much experience with Physics outside of my own department, so this was quite an interesting discovery! I believe that the SPS internship program offers excellent research opportunities, along with cultural enrichment and social activities, to its participants. I often look back on that summer in D.C. with great fondness and I would not hesitate to recommend the SPS internship program to undergraduate Physics majors.

< back to top

Date: August 6, 2003

Week Nine/Final Entry

With so little time left, it feels like every day is spent counting the hours as they slip away. I've rarely felt this strongly about a physical place, but the pressure and excitement of the summer has only intensified my sadness at leaving not only new-found friends but also this beautiful city. I'm suddenly nostalgic for the simple discoveries made at the beginning of summer, when the weeks ahead glittered with potential and promise.

Monday morning was like any other, filled with the bustle of paperwork and projects. I spent the day finishing up the developer documentation and finding an efficient method of printing the two thousand lines of code I had produced over the last six weeks. At lunchtime, Dr. Vogel and Dr. Suehle took their respective SPS interns to lunch and the rest of the AMD group joined us. It was great to relax with our co-workers, since many of my summer's lunches were either spent at my desk working or raiding the vending machine on the 2nd floor of the Technology building. Monday afternoon, I sat down with Dr. Vogel, Dr. Suehle, and Jeff Klenzing to review the results of my summer efforts. After demonstrating the simulator, the installation process for the development tools, and the internal structure of the code, I felt that there would be no major problems in carrying on the development of the new implementation for the next round of programmers.

However, my departure was not quite as smooth as I would have preferred. As expected, several small problems in the code appeared on Tuesday that required immediate attention. Fortunately, everything turned out just fine. However, I spent the day working frantically to not only finalize several remaining details, but to prepare my workstation and documentation for its next user. After catching the last shuttle with five minutes to spare, I suddenly realized that I'd just finished my last day of work. Somehow, in the last minute rush, it hadn't completely sunk in that I wouldn't be coming to work the next morning.

Instead, the group of SPS interns gathered for breakfast with Liz Caron and said their goodbyes. Rarely have I felt so unprepared to say my farewells, and the afternoon had a very surreal feeling to it as I finished packing and cleaned my room at International House. Though the city was bright and cheerful that day, it truly felt more like I was leaving home again than returning to it.

In closing, I'd like to sincerely thank Gary White and Liz Caron for their help, advice, and tireless efforts to keep us all sane throughout the internship process. Special thanks to Dr. Vogel for always taking the time to help me understand and for being patient even when I was behind schedule, to Dr. Seiler for making all the NIST interns in Division 812 feel like part of a family, and to Dr. Suehle for always letting me think out loud and for his helpful advice on several matters of programming style. Thanks to the SPS interns for proving that no matter how different our backgrounds, the goals and ideals of science can bring us together as friends. I wish you all continued success. It was a pleasure to get to know you all. A professional nod to Mr. Klenzing, who provided not only fascinating conversations on topics ranging from advanced mathematics to Italian opera but was also a fine colleague who I hope to have the opportunity to work with again some day. Finally, heartfelt thanks to Erin, Sky, and Stuart for taking me into the fold and expanding my horizons.

This summer was an incredible experience and I sincerely hope that SPS members reading this will consider this program for their next internship.

< back to top

Date: August 1, 2003

Week Eight

The week started off with a burst of activity and excitement when I spent the weekend in New York with my aunt. After a long train ride starting Friday afternoon, I arrived in the city at almost midnight with just enough energy to unpack and collapse into bed. We got an early start on Saturday morning, taking a bus tour through several of the well-known historic neighborhoods and past Ground Zero. We then left the bus near Battery Park and took a ferry out to Liberty Island. The Statue of Liberty was a little smaller than I anticipated, but still very impressive. The above-ground levels of the statue are now closed to the public due to increased security (evidenced by the heavily armed police officers patrolling the island), but we wandered about the grounds trying to get better views of the various features of the monument. We then took another ferry to the Ellis Island Museum where we spent several hours walking through the exhibits. It was truly a thought provoking re-creation of the immigrant's experience as they entered their new country. I was particularly interested in the inspection process immigrants were sent through, the cultural traditions that made their way into the Ellis Island community, and the political ramifications of the seemingly endless stream of foreigners entering America. It was hard to tear myself away, but the pressing need for lunch made it a little easier.

After a relaxing meal, we headed to the United Nations where my aunt gave me an "off-hours" behind-the-scenes tour. After the intense political climate of D.C., walking through the UN buildings was an awe-inspiring experience. We then took a bus to the Empire State Building, where we managed to get to the observation deck after waiting in what was possibly the single longest line I have ever seen. However, looking down on NYC from that altitude was breathtaking and was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. After quickly passing through Grand Central Station and Times Square, we headed to the theatre to see Phantom of the Opera on broadway. I'd never seen the production before, and I have to say that it was absolutely beautiful. Of course, I had the musical theme running through my head for several days afterward. Sunday, we walked through Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There, we visited the Medieval Weapons and Armor exhibit, the Impressionist exhibit, the Frank Lloyd Wright room, and the reconstructed Egyptian Temple. I would have loved to stay longer, but we had to make the afternoon showing of The Matrix Reloaded at the local IMAX theatre. I'd somehow managed to carefully avoid seeing the movie before then, so it certainly made a big impression, so to speak. My aunt then dropped me off at the train station and I began the journey home. After experiencing two lengthy delays while in transit, I arrived back in D.C. at 1:00 AM and collapsed into bed.

The realities of software development asserted themselves with a vengeance on Monday morning, with one final logic error that had to be removed. Fortunately, I found it quickly and spent Tuesday and Wednesday running the simulator through a set of well-defined test situations designed to stress each module. The simulator passed with flying colors and I spent most of the week walking around with a huge grin on my face. Not only was the new simulator producing more precise output than the old code (a side effect of the extra two digits of precision in floating point numbers provided by the new development environment), but it was doing it in a small fraction of the old execution time. I then spent a few hours polishing up the code and checking the structure of the modules to make sure that everything was internally self-consistent.

Finally, I spent Thursday and Friday writing user and developer documentation for the new code as well as implementing a re-designed graphical user interface to the simulation core. Though the new GUI is written in VB, its sole purpose is to provide a technically inexperienced user the means to quickly generate the parameter file used by the core. Therefore, the implementation was very straightforward and somewhat enjoyable. It was almost a relaxing vacation from the strict ANSI C++ that I'd been working with for the past five weeks. Finally, I was able to bring all the pieces of the new application together and package it for easy use.

There were several things that I wished I could have spent more time on while working on the project. The interface state code was transferred almost verbatim from the old implementation and I'd hoped to have the chance to restructure it in a more efficient way. Also, there were several ideas discussed over the summer that would leverage the new speed and modularity of the simulator that I would have liked to implement. However, the new internal structure of the simulator should now make it much easier to add additional functionality, such as Dr. Vogel's "charge pumping" model. Integrating an extension of that magnitude into the computational model of the old code would have been a long and frustrating process. I sincerely hope that the new implementation will not only allow the easy modification of the simulation algorithms, but will also make the simulation process a little friendlier for new researchers.

< back to top

Date: July 25, 2003

Week Seven

The summer has finally settled into a routine and the project is really starting to come together. The week was primarily spent debugging, documenting, and refining the program. The debugging itself is painfully slow, due to the fact that I can only tell if the calculations are correct at any particular step of the simulation by comparing the output of both implementations as they run side-by-side. However, many minor issues have been resolved and watching the new code run through its paces is very satisfying.

In general, it's been a productive but uneventful week. The days are filled with a feeling of quiet contentment and I’ve noticed myself drifting back into the "semester" frame of mind. Still, I've learned so much here, and made so many new friends, that it's hard to believe that I'll be leaving in less than two weeks.

< back to top

Date: July 18, 2003

Week Six/Mid-term Presentations

It's been an exciting week, and we've just made it through our mid-summer presentations! With only three weeks remaining, I'm looking forward to getting a lot of solid work done now that the pressure of the presentations has been lifted.

On Monday, I spent some quality time with the numerical methods behind the model and was able to produce some excellent output that could be included in my presentation. It was exhilarating to see the two simulations match precisely at each step of the algorithm. Though I would have loved to continue working on the quantum-mechanical corrections to the classical/quasistatic model, the remainder of the week was essentially devoted to preparing for the presentations.

Tuesday, I made a few refinements to the program and put together a set of basic slides for my practice presentation with my supervisor on Wednesday. Though I'd drawn up an extensive outline and made a lot of notes over the weekend, the process of producing the slides and their associated diagrams really solidified the structure of the presentation. Wednesday's practice went well, though some of the theoretical portions of the lecture had not been fleshed out yet. I received a lot of valuable input from Dr. Vogel and Dr. Suehle, which I spent the afternoon and following morning implementing.

On Thursday afternoon, the interns gathered at ACP to practice their presentations and critique each other. After making some last-minute changes to a few slides based on these new suggestions and mentally reviewing my lecture, I spent the remainder of the evening attempting to relax and clear my mind. I was scheduled to speak first the next morning and though years of piano recitals have managed to reduce the level of anxiety associated with performing or speaking to a large anonymous crowd, I find the worst part of public speaking to be the anticipation of the event. Once I'm actually talking, it's a lot of fun.

The afternoon was spent at the American Geophysical Union, learning more about the AGU and the other organizations housed within the building. A presentation I found particularly interesting was given by a representative of EarthData Inc. One of the topics covered was the use of rapidly acquired GIS data in the recovery and rescue efforts after the September 11 attack. The ability to quickly deliver critical data to ground teams within a matter of hours will be an increasingly powerful tool in other catastrophic situations and the company is on the cutting edge of technological innovation in the field. This application of physics, geoscience, and technology really appeals to me and I think I may have to learn more about the subject when I return home.

< back to top

Date: July 11, 2003

Week Five

After a long week, I contentedly spent a large portion of the weekend sleeping. The concept of actually having enough time over a weekend to sleep (and catch up on sleep, even!) is still somewhat foreign, but I feel that I'll be able to come to terms with it after some long periods of quiet contemplation.

Sunday evening, I once again made the journey out to the GMU campus to join the local underwater hockey club for a few games. The post-Nationals turnout was a little low, but it felt great to back in the water. However, I really wish I'd packed my gear before I left California! I'm planning on making it out there each weekend for the rest of the summer, and I hope to drag one or two other interns along with me one of these days.

On Monday morning, Jeff and I gave a quick status update on our projects to our group (Advanced Microelectronics Technology) and got some valuable input from our coworkers to help us prepare for our upcoming SPS presentations. That afternoon, we went on a group tour of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. It was great to see where Tony's been working and to hear about his work in more detail. After a fascinating presentation on the division, we went on a walking tour of the facilities. One of the highlights was the incredible 1,161 square-meter, Class-10000 cleanroom at the Spacecraft Systems Development and Integration Facility, which contains models of the Shuttle cargo bay and parts of the Hubble telescope that are used for the test fitting of new equipment. We were given a brief overview of the incredible amount of work that goes into fabricating, testing, and shipping new instruments and equipment for the Hubble telescope from the Facility to the Shuttle itself. We also visited the acoustic test chamber, used to provide vibration stress testing for space-bound equipment. There's something inherently cool about standing in front of a speaker cone nearly as tall as you are. Another point of interest was the massive High-Capacity Centrifuge. Although it mostly sits still these days and the room is currently being used for storage, the HCC was recently used in a vehicle safety rollover test. The joint venture between NASA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tested a variety of SUVs and trucks for their susceptibility to rolling when turning sharply. You can find more information on that project here:


The remainder of the week was spent working on the simulation code; debugging, refining, optimizing, and starting the redesign of the GUI component. I've also started working on my presentation, scheduled for July 18th. Though the fact that the simulator isn't quite done yet makes me a little nervous (though I'm planning on basically finishing it over the weekend), I'm a lot more concerned about squeezing my lecture down to only ten minutes. I will have to do a quick review of some basic semiconductor physics at the beginning and I need to put some thought into effectively and efficiently moving through the material. Also, since the result of my productivity, thus far, is an impressively long string of ones and zeros sitting on a hard drive somewhere, I'm hoping I'll able to provide some good visual output from the simulator that gives some physical basis for the use of the program and that demonstrates the power of the model.

< back to top

Date: July 4, 2003

Week Four

We are now officially half way through the internship and the level of stress is starting to build. While I've not been as productive as I'd initially hoped, the recoding effort is going smoothly. The new version now compiles and runs, so I've finally entered the careful process of debugging the code and refining the implementation of the algorithm so that the output of the simulation is actually useful. This detour in my project has really been a lot of fun, since I’m usually so busy with physics and math classes during the semester that I rarely have as much time left over for quality programming as I'd like. Although, the more work I do in all three fields, the more I am struck by their similarities.

Last Friday, Melissa and I struck out into the city in search of a place to ballroom dance. The closest location with potential was the Kennedy-Warren hotel. After a pleasant early-evening stroll, we arrived at the hotel and were kindly informed that there was no dancing this year and that we should try back next summer. Despite this small disappointment, I'm still enthusiastic about the idea and hope to drag the rest of the interns out dancing one of these weekends.

On Saturday, we had an official group tour of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Everything I'd hear about the exhibits was an understatement, and I will readily admit that I felt a bit like the proverbial "kid in the candy store". Only one afternoon was not nearly enough and we've already started plotting another informal visit to the Smithsonian to catch a few things we didn't have time for on the first pass. After we left the museum, some of the interns and I wandered through D.C.'s "Carnival", a rousing blend of music, food, and festivities! After dancing in the streets to some great Caribbean music, we spent a quiet afternoon sitting in the park, discussing the day's events, and making plans for the week.
Sunday afternoon, I made the journey out to the GMU campus to attend the U.S. Underwater Hockey Nationals. It took about an hour and a half each way, and I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked due to the bus schedules. Still, it was a lot of fun to see a whole room full of people even more enthusiastic than I am about the sport! I took a few pictures, met some of the local UwH folks that I'm hoping to play with next weekend, and saw some exciting games.

On Monday morning, I came to the unpleasant realization that, when I deposited my paycheck on the previous Friday, I had written down the incorrect account number on the deposit slip. In fact, it wasn't even the correct number of digits. Regardless, they courteously allowed me to deposit my check into a random account somewhere, and it took me most of the day to unravel my little mistake. Fortunately, everything worked out just fine. Still, it was a sobering experience!

Friday, the fourth of July, was the beginning of a relaxing three-day work-weekend. I spent the hot mid-day under the cool air conditioning of the dorm, playing pool with the other interns and discussing our various plans for the evening. I had originally planned to watch the fireworks show from the mall, since I had heard that this was the local tradition. However, I was turned away at the security perimeter of the mall due to the small pocket knife I always carry. This, combined with the large crowds converging on the mall area, convinced me to watch the fireworks show from the roof of our dorm. Fortunately, International House is well within walking distance of the mall and we were close enough to feel every explosion in the show. The fireworks themselves were beautiful, and it was definitely the most impressive display I've ever seen. After the show was over, I wandered off to bed, ready to begin a long weekend of working on my project.

< back to top

Date: June 27, 2003

Week Three

This week has gone by so fast, it's hard to recall exactly on which day anything in particular happened. The time remaining before our collective departure is decreasing rapidly, and as we near the half-way mark of the internship, it seems like I've been here so much longer than just three weeks. In fact, the preceding two weeks already feel like ancient history; old memories drifting up out of the past.

Unfortunately, this week has not been as productive as I'd hoped. The task of untangling the existing simulation code turned out to be a little more complicated than I had anticipated. Let this be a warning to any programmers out there; document your code well! Always follow accepted structural guidelines for the language you're using, and don't forget to comment extensively. You never know how long your program will be in use or who will have to modify it later.

Jeff and I have also been busy planning a tour of our workplace for the other interns. This turns out to be a remarkably complicated process, given everyone's varying schedules, and the challenge of narrowing down the tour's focus to fit within the time allotted. Even a half day tour is a bit short for a campus the size of NIST. We're both really looking forward to introducing the other interns to our supervising scientists and giving them a close-up view of our work. Although, in my case, that work consists mainly of typing long cryptic strings of text on a keyboard and staring intently at print outs of code covered in hand-written notes of various colors. However, the theoretical model behind the simulation is fascinating and I hope I can properly convey my excitement for the project to the other interns.

On Thursday, the Semiconductor Electronics Division held its annual picnic. The gathering was a great success, featuring a group outing to a local park, a large barbeque, and a variety of games. Jeff fared far better than I during the water-balloon toss, managing to stay completely dry even through the water-balloon fight that immediately followed. I also had the opportunity to play volleyball, something I've never done (as far as I can recall), and generally had a great time getting to know some of the people who work in the far corners of the division's floor.

I haven't had time to do much more sightseeing, but I've had a lot of fun exploring the restaurants of the area. The ethnic diversity is amazing, and often you can just follow your nose and discover a culinary gem. In my very small amounts of remaining free time, I've found that diligent practice at the pool table is not only fun, but a highly effective means of improving one's game. The common myth that physics majors are good at pool (after all, you can make remarkably accurate approximations to the equations of motion using only conservation of momentum arguments and some simple plane geometry) is completely false, as I have personally demonstrated on numerous occasions. I'm also very glad that, on a whim, I packed some sheet music before I left. Having rediscovered my love of the piano, I'm looking forward to being reunited with my collection of music when I return home.

< back to top

Date: June 20, 2003

Week Two

Another week gone has gone by, much faster than I would have preferred! The first week felt like slow motion, but now that I've settled into a daily routine the days are starting to blur together. Before I arrived, eight weeks sounded like a reasonably long time, but now that we've reached the quarter-mark of the internship I'm already trying to make the best use of the time remaining.
My mentor, Dr. Vogel, arrived at NIST on Tuesday. The following days were filled with my questions and our discussions of the project goals. We've decided to make a quick two week detour away from the original specifications of my internship to port our existing chunk of simulation software from Visual Basic to standard C++. We felt that this would be a valuable addition to the project and that it would streamline the process of adding more functionality to the simulator at a later point in the summer. I'm planning to implement the algorithm in a very modular way so that it can be easily extended and I feel the structure and clarity of C++ is perfect for the job. Another feature of the reimplementation will be the strict separation between the GUI generating the parameter file, the simulation driver, and the actual algorithm. I'm really excited at the prospect of getting my hands dirty, so to speak, and I feel the process of recoding the algorithm will really force me to grapple with the nuances of the theoretical background of the project. Hopefully, it will also greatly simplify the task of adding more advanced features to the computational model.

After another week at NIST, I have to admit that I almost feel more at home there than I do at the GWU dormitory. The working environment exemplifies all the things I love about my normal schoolwork; the constant learning, encountering interesting new subjects, and collaboration with motivated colleagues, all combined with the thrill of doing something with practical applications. I'm really looking forward to introducing the other SPS interns to this beautiful campus when Jeff and I give the NIST tour in the very near future.

On Wednesday, Gary White visited NIST and spent some time talking with Dr. Vogel and I. It was satisfying to be able to discuss my project with more technical confidence, a benefit of the steep learning curve I encountered during my first week. After our meeting, Gary White, Jeff, and I joined Liz Caron, Jack Hehn, and the other SPS interns for dinner at Union Station. The interns each gave a short description of the work they'd been doing since we arrived, and it was really interesting to hear more about the projects they're involved with.

I've gotten to do a little bit of sightseeing since I arrived, but not nearly as much as I'd like. With only five weekends remaining, we're all planning various educational group outings to take advantage of our proximity to downtown D.C. and its impressive collection of museums and points of historical interest. Also, I've devoted a lot of time to the process of getting back in shape. Living on the sixth floor of International House provides an excellent excuse to regularly run the stairs to our rooms and I've located a local underwater hockey club that I'm hoping to play with this coming Sunday.

< back to top

Date: June 13, 2003

First Week

I have three goals for this online journal. The first is to give potential applicants an overview of the internship process. I sincerely hope that this will encourage them to pursue this exciting opportunity to not only gain valuable experience in physics and physics related fields, but to explore the history and culture of the Washington D.C. area. The second is to provide my family, friends, and colleagues at home with a stable source of information about my travels and adventures. Finally, I hope to record my thoughts and impressions so that I'll be able to look back over this journal years from now and fondly remember the trip.

I left California on an early morning flight on June 7th, eager to begin my adventure. The sun was shining and the temperature was already rising towards its average of ninety degrees. Ten hours later, as I climbed the steps of George Washington University's International House in the cold rain, my initial eagerness and anticipation had been replaced by exhaustion. After a long night of unpacking, followed by a day of exploration and frantic shopping for all the things I should have thought to pack, I finally felt like I'd established an efficient living environment for the next eight weeks.

The city of Washington D.C. strikes me as an odd mix of dense commercial structure and long stretches of quiet neighborhoods. It's loud, hectic, and most of all, incredibly beautiful. I'd been informed on the shuttle ride from the airport that it had been raining almost every day for the preceding month. Due to this nearly constant downpour, trees and landscaping everywhere are exquisitely green and healthy.

The sense of history ingrained in this town is nearly overwhelming, and it seems like it's hard to walk more than a few blocks in any direction without stumbling upon a landmark or point of interest. I often wish I could stay here a little longer so that I could properly appreciate everything there is to see. Then again, this trip has given me the intense urge to thoroughly explore my home town. Although our country is still very young, simply walking through our nation's capitol fills me with awe. I'm looking forward to exploring as many museums and monuments as I can over the summer and I can barely wait for the Independence Day celebrations in just a few weeks.

The three days after my arrival were a flurry of new names and friendly faces, belonging to my fellow interns, the staff of AIP, and my new employers and co-workers at NIST. On Monday morning, we were given a half-day orientation at the beautiful American Center for Physics. The dedicated and enthusiastic staff immediately made us feel welcome and they provided a fascinating tour of the various organizations that make up the American Institute of Physics. That afternoon, my co-worker and I were taken to the NIST campus in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I believe the campus itself is a federal preserve, and it's not uncommon to encounter small herds of deer while walking between buildings. The buildings themselves are simple and functional, and the overall level of security is thoroughly impressive.

I'm working in the Semiconductor Electronics Division, located on the third floor of the Technology building. My scientist, Dr. Eric Vogel, is out of the country attending a conference and will not return until next Tuesday. Therefore, I've spent the last week catching up on the theory behind the project I'm involved with. While my Modern Physics textbook briefly discussed semiconductors, I have not had much theoretical or practical experience with them before this internship. After spending many hours reading (and often rereading) one of the definitive texts in the field, MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Physics and Technology by E. H. Nicollian and J. R. Brews, I'm able to better understand and appreciate the goals and depth of Dr. Vogel's work. I've also devoted some time learning the Visual Basic programming language, which provides a relaxing counterpoint to the dense but intellectually stimulating material of Nicollian & Brews.

Having spent most of my lunch hours over the past week exploring the museum, library, and public exhibits of NIST (formerly known as the National Bureau of Standards), I'm increasingly inspired by the variety of work in progress and by the past achievements of the institution. This laboratory has made some truly remarkable advances in some unexpected fields, and I've been very impressed by the professionalism and efficiency of the staff that I've had the pleasure of working with.

Before I left, many people asked me what exactly NIST does, so I've included their mission statement here: "To develop and promote measurement, standards, and technology to enhance productivity, facilitate trade, and improve the quality of life." An appropriate and interesting example of this goal is the work done by the institution to preserve our nation's most important documents: the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. You can find detailed information on that project here.


Last, but by no means least, interacting and collaborating with the other SPS interns has really been incredible. It's gratifying to know that, despite our varying origins and sometimes dramatically different backgrounds, we have all been brought together by the unifying subjects of science and learning. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these remarkable people, and I hope that the friendships built here will last a lifetime.

< back to top


 [an error occurred while processing this directive]