SPS Chapter Spotlight
Previous Chapter Spotlights
University of Toledo (Zone 7)
|Each year the Univeristy of Toldeo SPS Chapter sets up a demonstration table at the Northwest science Fair, held in the Student Union. Average turnout is between 150-200 people of all ages.
The University of Toledo (UT) SPS Chapter strives to provide enrichment activities for their members including trips to national labs and neighboring universities. Through their speaker series they encourage connections between students and professors. The chapter brings science to the community through their outreach program. They also host frequent social events for their members.
UT SPS recently became members of NASA's Night Sky Network http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm . The Night Sky Network provides ideas (and some materials) to SPS for astronomy related outreach. "The Night Sky Network, founded by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's PlanetQuest program, is a nationwide coalition of astronomy clubs bringing the science and inspiration of NASA's missions to the public." UT uses their materials at star parties and demo shows regularly.
The UT Chapter has been awarded the national outstanding chapter award for the years 2002, 2003, and 2004—an award only given to about 5% of the national chapters per annum.
SPS Sponsored Social Events
- Speaker Series - The goal, as always, is to expose young members to physics and enlighten the older members. Thanks to the professors for giving us their time!
- Rube Goldberg - In honor of the cartoonist Rube Goldberg a contest is held to build complicated contraptions to perform simple tasks.
- Annual Picnic at Wildwood Park - Despite forgetting the matches, not having enough charcoal, and killer bees that love orange pop, a great time was had by all. Due to bad weather predictions our 2003 and 2004 picnics were held in McMaster.
- Photo Contest - Inspired by the APS photo contest we held our own.
- Planetarium Shows - These great shows are a nice relaxing way to learn about astronomy. Check out their webpage www.rpbo.utoledo.edu
- Pizza Parties - What would a physics major be without pizza and soda!
- Movie Night - What better to do on a Friday night than to congregate into a lecture hall and watch movies on a projection system.
- Retro Game Night - Sometimes instead of Movie Night we get together and play classic video games, on the large screen in MH 1005, and board games.
- Toledo Astronomical Association Star Party
- Northwest Science Fair
- NASA Night Sky Network
- COSI Partnership
- Planetarium Displays
- Demonstrations for Area Schools
SPS Advisor: Dr. Scott Lee
SPS President: Paul Sell
SPS Vice Pres.: Stephanie Torok
SPS Sec/Tresurer: Adam Gray
SPS Outreach Coordinator: Matt Weller
Photographer: Adam Gray
Web Master: Maeghan Gault