SPS Chapter Spotlight
Previous Chapter Spotlights
New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology (Zone 16)
|Building and testing the Physics Club Air Cannon.
The New Mexico Tech Physics Club (NMTPC) is a club that meets on a weekly basis to discuss upcoming events and play with physics-related devices. This includes Tesla coils, Van De Graaf generators, trebuchets, model rockets, and air cannons. We often provide outreaches for the community, where we inspire the young Techies-to-be with our various contraptions.
A fair share of the club is also just about the social get togethers, often involving movies, video games, or sports. We usually have several barbecues on the athletic field each year where we show off our largest toys. These include a working trebuche and a giant air cannon.
SPS Sponsored Social Events
- Physics Club Barbecue
- Trebuche Launch – Melons, Bags of Flour, etc.
- Physics Dept. Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream Party
- Pumpkin Chucking Contest
- Trip to Trinity Site – 60th Anniversary
- Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser Movie Night
- Rocky Mountain Talent Search” Demos
- Tesla Coil, Jacob’s Ladder, Van de Graaf Generator, Jumping Rings
- Bed of Nails – Cement Block broken on SPS Member
- University Lab Tours
- NMT Paper Airplane Contest
SPS Advisor: Kenneth Minschwaner
SPS President: Laura Oliveira
SPS Vice Pres.:Craig Nicholas
SPS Secretary: Antoinette Abeyta
SPS Tresurer: Victor Alvidrez
Information Officer: Jared Duffy
Web Page Guy: Will Walden-Newman