The Director's Corner
Greetings, oh curious ones!
Having just celebrated my 50th birthday (same age as the laser...I guess that's better than being the same age as the radio or the wheel!), and wondering where the time goes, I've decided to start thinking of my age in base 16. That makes me 32, which is more in line with how I think of myself on my better days (In base 2, I guess I'm 110010, which is scary.) What base makes you feel your age?
Interested in teaching? Teach for America's deadline is December 17th, check it out below, item 3). Here are a few other items of physics interest, some also with December deadlines like the Physics and Society Fellowship (up to $4000!) and the SIgma Pi Sigma project awards. You can also get a SOCK to warm up at least one foot AND your chapter's outreaach efforts if you act fast---details follow below.
I hope your finals are going well; take care, and stay warm, if you can.
1) Fellowship for Physics and Society project, up to $4000, deadline Dec. 15 http://www.spsnational.org/programs/awards/fellowships.htm
2) Sigma Pi Sigma project awards to enhance honor society induction (up to $500) deadline: December 15th, http://www.sigmapisigma.org/awards/index.htm
3) Apply to the 2011 Teach For America corps. Next Application Deadline: Friday, December 17th, 2010, www.teachforamerica.org
4) WOW!---SPS rolls out its new job site, http://jobs.spsnational.org/ !
Physics job hunters and providers alike should check this out.see details below.
5) The Nucleus has hundreds of summer research positions already posted! Hundreds I say! Get yours today! http://www.the-nucleus.org/research/
6) SPS Outreach Catalyst Kits (SOCK) applications now being accepted (see below)
7) Does your chapter do science demos? Then you should be in the SPS Outreach Clearinghouse on The Nucleus! http://www.the-nucleus.org/outreach/
8) Desperately seeking physics E-tutors! $12 per hour, http://www.tutor.com/apply
9) April APS meeting in Anaheim, CA, abstract deadline and travel award deadline has been moved to January 14, http://www.aps.org/meetings/april/
Director, Sigma Pi Sigma and Society of Physics Students
Assistant Director of Education
American Institute of Physics
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740